Wednesday, June 12, 2013

August 2012 - Hermit Valley Part 3

Bailey got a lot of special attention from cousins and family members while we were camping. Her older cousin, Kade was helping her eat dinner.

Andrew and Shelby grab some corn on the cob to go. Cousin Lisa helps Bailey eat corn on the cob the correct way.

By Jove I think she's got it!
Dylan :)
Cousins! Dylan and Devin.
My brother, Davy. That was one good hunk of meat.


Bailey spent a lot of time closing the buckles on her booster chair. Then she would ask for help and someone would unbuckle them and she would do it again.


Just beyond the campsite is a little hill that the kids loved to play on. It was within sight of the camp so they could run up there and play and we could watch them. There was a tree stump that campers have used as target practice for bb's. The kids took empty water bottles and started collecting the different colored bb's and would shake them around as they walked. At first I thought it would be annoying, but then it was nice to know where the kids were by their shakers.

Andrew was the bb carrier. (I think his shirt might be a bit small. :)  )

The kids went over the mountain to see what they could see. In this case it was just a hill.

This was the other side of the hill. The kids explored for a while.


Bailey getting a better view on Danny's shoulders.

So pretty.




I must admit the kids were pretty good for their first time camping. There was only one area of major stress. Andrew was potty trained, but he wouldn't go standing up. I thought all boys liked that, but not mine. When we got to Hermit Valley we kept asking if he needed to go potty. He kept saying no. I didn't want to fight him because he was so happy but after 8 hours (yes, 8 hours) of holding it I knew I had to do something. We were getting the kids ready for bed and it's just part of the routine so I thought it would be ok. There is an outhouse a little walk away so Andrew and I went over there. The problem was he was too scared to sit on it because he was afraid he would fall in. I admit that is a valid reason. I would be scared too if I was his size. I told him he could go in the bushes or a tree (we are camping after all) but nothing worked. I spent a full hour doing everything I could to get him to go. Finally I found out someone had a little toilet seat with legs, but nothing under. So I borrowed that and found a little spot for Andrew and he sat down and finally went potty. Too much information? I don't know, but I wanted to cry for that hour. Meanwhile I didn't want to put Bailey to bed just to wake her up when Andrew went to bed so it was a bit of a crazy and stressful night. But, good news! He stands up now!

No comments: