Tuesday, June 3, 2014

April 2014 - Misc

April was another busy month. Ryan traveled a bit more this month going to Argentina and Bangladesh.We had game nights, Bunco, book club, dinner parties, park play dates and lots of Easter parties.


I like watching my kids sleep. They are so quiet and peaceful. I need these sweet moments to balance out the crazy ones. :)


Ryan fell asleep in Andrew's room so the kids just sat on the bed and "played quietly with daddy."

Bailey is wearing her gymnastic outfit, her pink cape and pink goggles. Super pink goofy girl.

Every now and then I realize the house is too quiet. Usually it's instant panic for me, but on those days when I find the kids reading or playing quietly, my heart melts. But study and remember this photo of Bailey because it will come back later. Here's a hint, notice what is on the table with her?

Fishy face!

I started teaching the kids how to swim. It's hard to me to teach them, but I would rather do it than pay someone else. Bailey gets excited to go swimming, but Andrew doesn't enjoy it very much. When I started swimming, I had a pink cap and pink goggles. Oh the good ol' days.  The pool was pretty chilly, but a good friend let me borrow her wet suit because I couldn't' find mine. It made lessons great for me, but the kids were a little cold. I'm also realizing I look mean with my cap and goggles on.

The kids have improved from this first lesson and don't judge me. :)  It's hard to teach your own kids.





Bailey is wearing the purple dress I wore when I was young.



We saw a large birds nest in some trees by Andrew's school. I couldn't get a photo when the birds were there though. When I saw the birds they looked like eagles.

Andrew enjoyed watering the new sod. He also enjoyed watering the fence.

I made this print of Bailey's feet when she was a couple months old. I recently pulled it out to show her and now she asks to "hold my feet?" when she wants to compare her little footprints to her feet now.



Remember how I said to pay attention to what was on the table in a previous photo of Bailey? Did you notice the scissors? I was getting ready for church one Sunday and came out to hear Andrew yelling "she cut her hair!" He pointed to the ground where her hair was. I noticed two things were missing, Bailey and the scissors. I went to Bailey's room where I found more hair and Bailey in her bed. I started crying before I even saw her. I sat on her bed with her and held her and cried. Then Bailey started crying too. I don't know how long we stayed there, but Ryan was concerned by the time we came out. He asked, "how bad" and honestly, I hadn't even looked yet. I couldn't look. Somehow that made it final.

She cut the sides and her bangs. It could have been worse, but it definitely looked like she cut it.

We had to leave for church soon and I didn't know what to do. Do I cut it and try to fix it or leave it? I decided I was too emotional to do anything so I pulled it back in a few ponytails and left. I wanted to make her wear a sticker that said, "I cut my hair today" but she already felt bad and I didn't want anyone making her feel worse or laughing at her. She's not allowed to play with scissors anymore. She looks at me sadly and says, "I won't cut my hair again" so I know she has learned her lesson. I just don't trust her yet. Andrew was and still is such a trustworthy kid. He's pretty easy and knows the rules and follows them. I need to remember Bailey is not the same and is at that age where she starts to push the limits.

Coloring with Sammy and playing with trains.

Bailey took this photo.


Cuddles


In a couple of the photos from this post, there has been a little brown turtle with Andrew. That's Sammy the sea turtle. Sammy is the mascot/class pet for Andrew's preschool class. Each student takes Sammy home for a week and at the end of the week they turn in a journal that has photos or drawings or anything to describe what they did with Sammy. I can't remember when Andrew had Sammy for the first time (maybe December?) so I thought I'd add his entry in the class journal from the first adventure with Sammy.

Andrew described the photos all by himself. The left page says, "Sammy got in traffic and he had to stop." "I went to bed and I read a book to Sammy. " The right page says, "I made a hat and Sammy did too. My mommy and daddy thought it was funny. We built a turtle and two stars for Sammy. I made a ball for Sammy's house"

The third page read, "I went to church with Sammy and we had so much fun." "Piano lessons with Sammy"

Andrew got to take Sammy home for a second time in April. He wrote, "I was coloring with a red crayon and Sammy was coloring with a green crayon. We like to color." "I went to swim lessons and Sammy went too" "Breakfast of champions."

"Sammy and I went on an Easter egg hunt. We found lots of eggs and candy. Yum yum! I love Sammy."

I think this was one of her last nights in her crib that was converted. She's in a bigger bed now.


We had some fun with silly string. Andrew of course pouted when we got him.





I finally decided to cut Bailey's hair a little to even it out with what she cut on the sides. It's not very noticeable at all in thie photo, but it looks a lot better. This was the first time I cut her hair other than her bangs so we needed it recorded in the family journal. :)

Oh man, her bangs. I have since fixed them.

The kids played outside in the sprinklers and discovered they could make new art with the chalk on a wet concrete. It was fun to watch them learn and blend colors to see what new colors they could create.




Here's a little video from April.

 Ryan got some great seats behind home plate at an Astros game. If you look carefully you may see President George Bush Sr and Barbara Bush, Nolan Ryan or Reggie Jackson. They all sat pretty close to Ryan.







The end! (Now I'm done with April, Dad.)

No comments: