Sunday, September 2, 2012

April 2012 - CRUISE - Part 1

Welcome to the Triumph! On Saturday, April 28, 2012 we embarked on a journey that will never be forgotten. (Well, I'm glad I took notes because I had forgotten a lot 4 months later!) We went with some of Ryan's old roommates from BYU and their spouses.We had a ton of fun and can't wait for our next "reunion" with them.


On board. After waiting in multiple lines, we finally made it on the Carnival Triumph!


We went to get some food and then walked around to get a layout of the ship. It was actually very similar to the ship we sailed with 2 years earlier (with the same stops). We then went down to our rooms to unpack. Our friends, John and Cara had a sweet room! Their room was a large corner room with a balcony that went around the corner of the ship. It was immediately the "hang out" room.

We wasted no time getting out in the sun. Danielle and I got our "game face" on. (Sunscreen is important, folks. No joking around with that stuff.)

The smart people stayed in the shade. Who is missing from the photo? Me and Drew. We were the "sun worshipers."


Ryan, Rose and I signed up for a video scavenger hunt. We had a list of things to find on the ship and had to take photos of those things/people. Some things on the list were, proposing to a bar tender, find a tattoo of an animal, find 8 people from different countries, and hug 5 strangers. We had to be in the photo with all the things on our list. In this photo, Rose and I are hugging our friend, Drew. We consider him strange so we thought it counted. :)

I love the formal night. It's a fun reason to get extra dressed up and have a fancy dinner. Rose came to our room to help me get ready, then Matt and Ryan came to pick us up for our dates.

John and Cara.

Matt and Rose.

Drew and Danielle.

The Gang.

So, we went on the exact cruise two year earlier with another group of friends. It was also with Carnival so some dishes we ate were similar or the same as the meals we ate two years ago. I remember this one soup in particular. It was a strawberry bisque. I have talked about it for two years. I looked for copy cat recipes and tried to make it for Thanksgiving. It just wasn't the same. I must admit, it is almost sad how excited I was for this soup. 

It comes out looking like this. (The first time I ordered it, I was really confused.)

Then they pour on the yumminess that is the bisque and it looks like this. I'm telling you it is fantastic!





After dinner we went to a comedy show that was pretty good! Ryan took the stage afterwards, but just for a photo. :)



Each day we would get a new towel friend to greet us as we return from a long day of fun.

I tried very hard to try new foods including, duck, fish and other "different" foods. I was proud of myself for eating outside my box. I also always had the fruit platter for dessert, but some nights would also order a fancy dessert like black forest cherry cake.

We quickly found the library that had a bunch of books and games that we could check out. We spent a few evenings playing games.

Summary of my journal from the first two days: 

The first  night, Ryan got chosen as a contestant on the "game show" game. It wasn't as fun as we had hoped. The questions were all audio clips and Ryan said it was really hard to hear on stage. He ended up coming in second and got a Carnival medal for it. The winner got a genuine plastic "ship on a stick" and from that point on it was our mission to collect as many medals and ships on sticks as possible.

We ended the first night at a Piano Bar where the piano man would sing almost any song we would throw at him. It was a fun first night.

The second day started with a delicious omelet (yummmmm) and another day at sea. Ryan did almost every trivia game they offered. After breakfast we went to movie trivia and it was really hard! Then we had some pool time and back down for Pictionary. There were two teams and our group formed all of Team Triumph. The other team cheated, but we still had fun. We each got to take a turn to draw while our team guessed. At the end, both teams were tied. We then had the "lightening round." One team member would draw a picture until we guessed it and then draw another as many times as possible in 2 minutes. We were the second team to go and needed 7 to win. Sounds impossible right? Not with Matt drawing! After we guessed the 7th drawing he started doing a victory dance. The organizers of the game (Anna, you'll meet her later) told us we still had time to do more. We easily got 2 more just for fun. We were promised a ship on a stick for that amazing performance.

That afternoon was the video scavenger hunt and the couples challenge. I am so glad we didn't do that. It looked so embarrassing...

The second night was the formal night and the comedy show by Tommie Drake. After Tommie, we went to karaoke. I had never done karaoke before and didn't really want to. I said I would do it if I knew the song. I thought, the Black Eyed Peas, I Gotta Feeling, would be good because I knew all the words and I dance to it on our Xbox Kinect. We made it up there and after a minute I realized that, a) the song is really repetitive and b) goes on FOREVER! I was used to the short Dance Central (Xbox) version and not the 4 minute version! Ah! I felt so bad because everyone (minus Drew who videoed/took photos) was up there singing the same 4 lines over and over and over. Ugh. Sorry friends.

We then went to an adults only comedy club performance by Tommie. He's a funny guy.

The End of Day one and two of our cruise! :)

No comments: