Sunday, September 2, 2012

April 2012 - CRUISE - Progresso

Monday, April 30, 2012. We planned to get up early to meet the gang for breakfast and head out to Progresso. Unfortunately, someone set our alarm for 6:30pm. It's hard to tell what time it is when you are in a room without a window. Luckily for me, I HAVE to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. (Weird and inconvenient, I know.) However, this time it came in handy when I checked our phone and realized it was 7am. We were so frantic we somehow dressed and made it up for breakfast in 5 minutes. We were supposed to be packed and ready to leave the ship at 7:15. We ate and packed quickly then left the ship.

We took a bus to the town because it is a 4 mile port. We got on a bus with a tour guide headed for the ruins. It was a 2 and a half hour drive to the ruins and I get sleepy in cars so I took a little nap. Our tour guide was really nice, but sometimes it was hard to understand her accent and she didn't talk very loud. After she gave us the official tour, we had time to go explore on our own.
















Back side of the pyramid.







There was this large open area that had rectangular buildings/walls on the north, south, east and west. The walls on the north represented heaven and had a specific number of doors (I can't remember how many now). The building on the south represented hell and had fewer doors. There was so much symbolism in the architecture. I found it fascinating.


The east and south walls.


East wall. See the horizontal lines in the upside down pyramids? They represent something. I think it had to do with the calendar.





The north wall is behind us.




Rosie and I are in front of the south and west walls.


The details are amazing.


Top of the east wall.


Then we got to this little area that was used for competitive games. Apparently two teams would compete and try to toss a ball through these vertical hoops. The captain of the winning team would die (beheaded?) as an honor to the ruler or king. If you ask me, I think I'd throw the game if I was the captain.


This pyramid was one we could climb and you better believe I ran up the whole thing. Yep. Ran.





The view from the top. The four walls are the furthest away from us (slight left) in this photo and the first pyramid is slightly right from middle.




We made it!




I saw this interesting wall not too far away.

Both Drew and I thought, "How do we get over there, and how do we climb it?"



On the way down.


You can see Rose at the bottom taking a photo of me.

Here is the photo she took.

The girls being silly.

Ryan, Drew and I made it to the top of the wall we saw from the top of the pyramid and we learned it was called the Bird Wall. (Left to Right)

Drew, me, Matt, Rose, Ryan.

Wow! We are holding up that wall! We are so strong!

Rose and I hung out up there for a little while.


These things were everywhere and they were HUGE! Think small cat size.






Going back to the ship.

Notes from my journal

After we got back on the ship I ate an amazing sandwich! Rose and I stood on the deck for a while watching the ship pull away from land. It was very relaxing and enjoyable to just sit and look out and see beautiful blue sky as far as the horizon. Rose and I started watching the water and we both swear that we saw fish and I saw a sea turtle! It was obvious. It came right up to the surface and popped up its head. I thought it was pretty special. 

Rose, Matt, Drew and I went to play mini golf, but there were a bazillion kids already playing so we decided to play shuffleboard instead. It was really fun. We did boys vs. girls and Rose was definitely the stronger player on our team. The wind would change and we'd have to adjust accordingly and I never really knew how hard to hit it. We one 1 of 3 games but had so much fun. I wish we had our camera.

That night at dinner, the staff put on an awesome show for us. I remember the dinner being so delicious and then, to top it all off, I ate 3 desserts. Yes, that's right, THREE DESSERTS (it's important to know for later). 

We headed over to the main lobby/auditorium for a "Minute to Win It" type game. If you are unfamiliar with that type of game it is very simple. There is a simple task to complete in 60 seconds. Usually they sound really easy, but are actually a little harder to complete. We all get to the auditorium and I am sooooooo full. Three desserts? Really Sarah? I was also cold, so Rose and I literally ran down 3 or 4 levels and to the complete opposite side of the ship to change and we ran all the way back. I'm feeling the 3 desserts now. We get there just as it's starting and Danielle and Cara lean over and say, "we put your name in the drawing to go up there". I think they are joking. Then I hear "Sarah" but another girl stands up and walks up and confirms it's her. Then I hear, "Sarah....Kearns!" Well, I guess they weren't joking! I went up, really regretting those last two desserts.

The first thing we all had to do was drink a soda until it could balance on the edge/corner of it by itself. Ah! Now I'm REALLY regretting eating 3 desserts. I had to chug about half of a ginger ale to get it to be the right weight to balance on it's side, but I did it under 60 seconds, so I made it to the next round.

Round two was "face the cookie" We actually did this game at our Christmas party last year. (We did a Minute to Win It themed party). I have not been able to do this one before and I had practiced! The task was to put a cookie on your forehead and without using your hands, get the cookie in your mouth. Easier said than done. And I had to get TWO cookies in my mouth in under 60 seconds! I got the second one literally as the time ran out. I'm not actually sure I got it, but the crowd cheered me on. I was also the only contestant to kneel. All the others stood and I was glad I went last to show them how it's done :)


The last round was stacking cups. This was actually pretty easy and I finished with lots of time left. I had to stack up and take down so many cups without letting any drop. So three of us tied because we were the only ones to complete all the rounds. Win!


We stayed for another game that the staff put on and then played card games until we went to bed. It was a good day.

No comments: